Thursday, July 28, 2005 4:06 AM bart

Windows Vista Beta 1 on Virtual PC - Installation notes

For those of you who are part of the Windows Vista Beta 1 program, here are some setup instructions if you want to give Vista a first try on Virtual PC 2004. I assume you do have the .iso file (2.42 GB in size), e.g. from the MSDN Subscribers website.

1. Download and unzip the VCD ISO tool to mount the .iso file to a drive letter on the host operating system. Read the readme.txt file for instructions on how to use it. Assume the mounted drive letter is Z:.
  2. Start Virtual PC 2004 and create a new virtual machine with a new virtual harddisk. I'm creating a virtual machine with 512 MB of RAM and a harddisk (dynamically expanding) of 120 GB (converted 122880 MB).
  3. Now launch your virtual machine and choose CD, Use Physical Drive Z:. The reason for this hook in step 1 and 3 is the fact that Virtual PC didn't accept the iso over here (likely because it's too large).
  4. After the BIOS' POST phase, you should see the Longhorn PE coming up (mini version on Windows Vista core to execute the setup in). PE stands for Preinstallation Environment.
  5. Click through the setup till you reach the page where the installation partition can be chosen (pass through the product key entry, EULA accept and installation type choice). You'll see the following message: The partition you selected is not available for installation. Please reboot your computer and verify that the disk is enabled in your computer's BIOS settings. You can click next and the disk is marked as "Unavailable". Perform the following steps:
    1. Click 'New' to create a new partition on the virtual harddisk. Choose the maximum size available (that's the full disk space). (Alternatively use diskpart through step 5.2, see below).
    2. Press SHIFT-F10 to enter the command line (key combination available in Windows setups since Windows 2000 if I'm not mistaken; I've used it at least on XP and 2003 before). Note: do not use the "host key" SHIFT key (typically the right-hand size one).
    3. Execute format c: /fs:ntfs /q to perform a quick NTFS format of the volume. Note: for the ':' symbol, use ALT-58 if you don't have the right keyboard layout; use ALT-47 for the '/' symbol.
    4. Reboot the machine (try the shutdown /r command or do a hard reset).
    5. Possibly you can receive a BSoD for ntfs.sys when launching setup again; rebooting should fix this issue. (Yes, BSoDs are still present in Vista ;-))
  6. Next time you reach the installation partition choice step, the message mentioned in the previous step should be gone and you should be able to proceed.

More information about this known problem can be found in the readme.txt file on the DVD, which can be opened in the first setup step (in Notepad).

Comments

# Windows Vista Beta 1 on Virtual PC - Installation notes

Thursday, July 28, 2005 2:59 PM by TrackBack

Posted as a reference for me.   I’m hoping to play with it this weekend.  ...

Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:54 PM by bart

Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:20 PM by bart

My workaround for this issue can be found at http://www.withallmymind.com/WindowsVistaBeta1AndVirtualPC.aspx.

# Belgian Community Articles Posted

Friday, July 29, 2005 10:19 AM by TrackBack

Jelle Druyts, member of the Belgian .NET community, has his article linked in the second issue of...

Saturday, July 30, 2005 1:03 PM by bart

Hi guys

I get the same error message ("The partition you selected is not available for installation. Please reboot your computer and verify that the disk is enabled in your computer's BIOS settings) when I try to install Vista Beta 1 on a 20GB USB Harddisk (USB 2.0 Controller onboard, BIOS supports USB Boot als also shows me the USB HDD as option in the Boot Selection). Vista Setup shows the HDD (I can partition and format) but doesn't allow install. With Windows XP same error. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 9:16 PM by bart

Setup was no problem, but I can't get sound to work. Any tips?

Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:02 PM by bart

How about video? what driver do you use in vista for the virtual video?

Sunday, July 31, 2005 4:08 PM by bart

remember to install the Virtual Machine Additions for better display performance. however, the vpc only sets 8m video memory, this is really not enough for longhorn.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 6:12 PM by bart

It's so slow, it's unusable. VPC + Vista is not good to do any development or even exploring the features.

Sunday, July 31, 2005 7:33 PM by bart

Hi guys,

I've not *recommended* to install Vista in a VPC enviroment, I just pointed out how you can do it if you want to do so. Make sure to install the Virtual Machine Additions for sure. At my side, the VPC works relatively well, but the experience on my physical machine is (as expected) much better.

Side note: I actually started in VPC first to have such an image on my VPC images disk to be used for who-knows-what (presentations & demos maybe at some point in time) also because I didn't find my "NTFS partition resizing tool" to split the partition of my second dev box to allocate some space for Vista. Today I'll install Longhorn Server and Vista both on a dual proc machine with plenty of RAM.

Cheers,
Bart

Monday, August 01, 2005 11:14 AM by bart

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the steps you 've written for the installation.

All worked fine for me.
I installed on VP2004 SP1 running on W2kPRO with 1 GB memory

I installed iso tool and followed the steps.
And step 5 was also the second point where troubled me. So your notes help me very musch.

Thanks...

Eralper

Monday, August 01, 2005 4:14 PM by bart

hello bart,

first of all thanks for solving my acient problems..

But now i met a new problem..
I can't find the drivers which are required for virtual pc..
I found those of my REAL hardware..
But Virtual Pc uses simulated hardware.
Why can I find those drivers ?

thanks in advance
brecht

Monday, August 01, 2005 9:59 PM by bart

Also want to mention that mounting the ISO image to a virtual SCSI drive with a tool like Virtual CloneDrive from Elby makes it impossible to install.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:40 AM by bart

Hello,

Keep getting an unrecoverable processor error has been encountered when installing on Virtual PC 2004. It happens after 2 hours or the installation wait. Any ideas?

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 6:29 AM by bart

I just formatted the drive using the installation tool then rebooted the virtual machine and it worked great.

I have problems with video like everybody else, how can I configure the display in virtual pc?

thanks in advance! ;)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 6:29 AM by bart

thanks in advance! ;)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:06 PM by bart

I'm tryig to install the Beta 1 on Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 SP1. But I get an error "Setup was unable to locate a locally attached hard drive suitable for holding temporary Setup files" when the setup starts to copy the files. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:21 PM by bart

Some answers:
- Don't forget to install the Virtual Machine Additions (HOST KEY + I). Then you will have a good video display, otherwise you won't.
- For harddisk troubles, please follow the outline steps of my post. It should work then.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:36 PM by bart

Thanks for the quick response.
I followed your instructions exactly, I get to the point where the setup starts to copy the files to the virtual HD, but it fails with the error that I described.
I thought the problem is with expantion of the virtual HD and created fixed size 8GB, but it didn't help.
In the command window I can get to C: drive and see there is a folder $WINDOW... created.
I don't see any similar problems found by others, so I assume it has something to do with my hardware: I have IBM Thinkpad, 1.4MHz processor laptop with 512MB RAM of wich ~260MB are for the VPC.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:47 PM by bart

Hi Mickey,

I hope you mean a 1.4GHz processor, otherwise your machine is about 90% slower than my first 286 box I've ever had :-).

Normally, your hardware doesn't have any impact as it's virtualized you know. Unfortunately, I can't repro your problem, so a first tip I can give: ensure you have enough disk space available! I've used a dynamically expanding disk of 120 GB (:o) but the default of 16 GB should be enough. I haven't explored the exact setup routines in detail yet, but the new setup copies kinda zipped packages in large chunks to disk to extract it over there (should limit slow down due to a large series of small files that need to be transferred between DVD and harddisk). Although I'm not sure about the exact procedure used, this could require 2 times the disk space needed for a working setup. So, I'd try to do safe play and allocate enough diskspace (instead of the 8 GB you tried).

Kind regards,

Bart

# Good search engines know me :-)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:56 PM by TrackBack

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:00 PM by bart

Hi, Bart!
Thanks again!
I tryed at first to use dynamically expanding HD with default capacity, but it didn't work either.
Now I am using existing VHD with windows 2000 professional installed on it and the setup continued, so there maybe something wrong with compatibility of the windows vista and VPC?
The setup is still running - I'll see if it succeeds.
About MGh and Ghz... you got me :-)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:14 PM by bart

i hav VIrtual PC 2004 without SP1 and i hav Vista installed but i cant install the additions how is this possible

Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:14 PM by bart

Hi... I think I'm experiencing the same issue that Mickey has. I started the installation on Virtual PC and after following the instruction to create and format the Virtual Partition, everything seems to work fine for an hour or two... (The installer seems to complete the first phase of copying file and reboot the virtual session, and then restarts the installer and says is going to complete the installation) all the sudden a Virtual Machine General Error comes up with a blue screen behind sayng there was an unknown error and the system reboots. The installation is not completed and I can not continue forward. I don't know at this point what else to try. I have repeated the installation process three time with slight variation but always same final result. I don't know if usign a virtual DVD unit created to mount the ISO image might be related with this problem. I've seen people doing the same successfully but I can not. My Virtual machine is configured with 712 MB of RAM and a VHD of 16 GB dynamically expanded.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Saturday, August 06, 2005 2:01 PM by bart

Thanks for the tip

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:53 PM by bart

I've tried to install Vista a dozen times on Virtual PC. I researched installation before my first try so I didn't have to work through the limited ISO size or RAW disk problems. Im running the virtual machine with 512 meg and a 16 GB virtual disk.

Ive run the Diskpart utility to format the RAW partition and tried using copies of the disk file from a running Windows 2000 VPC. I never get as far as all the other threads suggest.

I start the installation and it stops at an "Install Windows" screen that has 3 options--Install now, View release notes and Repair problems with Windows setup. I click Install now.

I see a message "Starting installation..." for 15 or 20 seconds and then it goes back to the Install Windows screen.

If I click the Repair problems... option it comes back with one of several message. The most recent is "Files required to start Windows are either missing or damaged." If I click more information it shows me:

Root cause found:
-------------------
Boot critical file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk\Partition1\bootmgr is missing.

Are there any suggestion on how to diagnose the problem?

Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:30 AM by bart

Please ignore my previous post. I have found the problem. I was using Virtual CloneDrive as a DVD driver for the Vista ISO file. I changed to the Microsoft Virtual CD Control Tool and Vista is now installing.

Friday, August 12, 2005 8:41 AM by bart

I managed to install it end, I think on last restart, when the Windows Logo comes up and the progressbar runs windows crashes:

virtual pc: processor error
windows: STOP 0x0000007E (0x80000003, 0x810EF3E1, 0x83A46D30,0x83A46A2C)

Ther is enough spaece on the hd and i have gave longhorn 512mb ram ? Host is WinXP prof. with VP 2004 SP2
Someone can help me ?

Thomas

Friday, August 12, 2005 2:25 PM by bart

I hav Vista installed on Virtual PC 2004 but my display is 4 colors!! the lowest and it cant go higher cuz it says i hav a Generic Non-PnP Display VGA Adapter :(:( What can i do???

Friday, August 12, 2005 2:37 PM by bart

i need microsoft vista key(serial number).i have vista dvd but my product key is incorrect.So pls send your vista product key to rifatgunduz@gmail.com

Friday, August 12, 2005 2:44 PM by bart

Dennis,

Install the Virtual PC additions as mentioned in earlier feedback. This should solve the problem.

Rifat,

To obtain a valid product key, you should be a valid registered beta tester through connect.microsoft.com. Over there you can get product key, as well as via MSDN Subscriptions. We can't share product keys over here.

Kind regards,

Bart De Smet

Sunday, August 14, 2005 1:00 AM by bart

Hey bart i cant install the additions
i cant select it in the menu help

Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:04 AM by bart

ioiuhoiuyoiu

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 3:37 PM by bart

VPC and Windows Vista don´t work...i have an 3GHZ Athlon CPU and 1GBRam (768 for VPC) and this shit Vista is too slow...30 seconds to open a small window...with "opening effects" :-((

Friday, August 26, 2005 12:49 AM by bart

Wow, u must have some hardware or install problems. I been running WinVista Beta 1 for a week. It is already faster than WinXP (on the same machine) and have it incorporated into my network running beautifully.

Kudos to MS for this is outstanding for an early beta release. <salute>

Tarl

# Vista installation notes

Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:22 AM by TrackBack

# Install Windows Vista (Longhorn) under Virtual PC

Thursday, September 01, 2005 10:01 PM by TrackBack

# Install Windows Vista (Longhorn) under Virtual PC

Thursday, September 01, 2005 10:59 PM by TrackBack

Monday, September 05, 2005 5:12 AM by bart

I've tried install Vista on cd and using Virtual PC. With VrtPC It says "Windows is loading files" and thats all I get. With it burn on cd, I cant get past trying to format/partition hdd...What Am I doing WRONG?

Tommygirl_702@yahoo.com

Friday, September 09, 2005 1:12 PM by bart

Thanks a lot, it works now.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:34 PM by bart

Hi there all!
I got some sticky thing here.
I use Virtual PC 2004, and installation was all good until the last fase.
It says:
Completing Instalation - Do not restart your computer during this time.

Its been like this for 2 horus now. Won't go away.. I and now I've rebooted, but its still there..

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:59 AM by bart

Vista installation was slow on VPC 2004 but it worked (had to reboot after creating a partition).

Vista is very slow probably because the S3/Video driver provided by VPC Addition is not fast enough for the heavy graphics of Vista.

Secondly, if you can arrange your virtual network connection to work, things improve a bit.

Overall, I'd say Vista is more a alpha release than a beta but some of the bugs in Explorer may be linked to VPC (shared folder).

The Windows Backup utility is pre-alpha.

Microsoft is way behind schedule...

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:26 PM by bart

Hi Alan,

It's beta but remember that things were stripped down before beta 1 was delivered. In the new pre-beta 2 (PDC build) things have improved again and my overall feeling is pretty good. There's indeed still work to be done but the road is clear now. So, I'd rather not say that "Microsoft is way behind schedule". More things have been done than are visible today (e.g. IIS7 is only in the PDC build of Longhorn Server and was not in beta 1, same for TxNTFS stuff for example).

Kind regards,
Brt De Smet

Sunday, September 25, 2005 7:41 AM by bart

Hi
i was installing Longhorn DVD on a system the one already had Xp Pro and W2K3 installed. I made a NTFS partion and reboot with Longhorn DVD and start installig but after some time it gives me this error message, "TPI32.dll was not found".

Monday, September 26, 2005 4:45 AM by bart

Hi
my bad. I was installing without VPC 2004.
And now i'm installing the u told in your help.
Every thing went well it reboot automatically.
But it's been 2 hours.
It says:
Completing Instalation - Do not restart your computer during this time.
Should i wait more how long it will take. any idea?

Monday, September 26, 2005 5:18 AM by bart

I installed Beta successfully.
But i've also display problem.
It just show 4 bit colors. But it's bit slow.
I used 512MB RAM for virtual machine.
How to fix display problem.

Friday, September 30, 2005 3:52 PM by bart

I've got the same problem. I've installed the Virtual Machine Additions, but i've still got the crappy 4-bit colors. I just won't work...are there any other options to solve this problem?

iBenshi

Friday, September 30, 2005 3:56 PM by bart

Never mind...i just tried to manually add the videodriver and this time it worked! Gonna test Vista now :)

iBenshi

Monday, October 03, 2005 11:19 PM by bart

So...I'm trying to install the Additions, and it's taking forever. Given that the install of Vista took hours (half a day), I guess I should give it more time. It's encouraging to know that others have had success. I'm curious as to whether or not Vista will notice from within VPC that it's on a TabletPC. The pen drives it nuts right now.

As slowly as things are proceding, I have to admit to the likelihood that I will not actually be able to DO anything with the OS, other than maybe say I got it installed, but something makes me keep going.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:08 AM by bart

For anyone attempting to install Virtual Additions in my experience this doesn't work. The install just sits there.

The work around in to go to Device Manager. Then select the display and update the driver. The driver update gives the option to search the internet. The install then pulls the Virtual PC display driver from Microsofts web site.

Friday, April 28, 2006 9:25 PM by zreodark@hotmail.com