Monday, November 22, 2004 1:08 AM bart

I'm really convinced about what Microsoft will be doing on the field of web search with MSN Search. However, I still find myself using Google quite often, so I started to analyse why. I found out that the major reason is the speed I have developed over time to go to that site. In Internet Explorer, I'm just doing this: ALT-D (go to address bar), type "google" (without quotes of course) and press CTRL-ENTER (will add http://www. in front of the typed text and .com after it). Damn easy to do this. MSN Search doesn't have the same effectiveness however: you have to type search.msn.com manually each time. So I decided to force myself to use MSN instead by applying some tricks:

• Tweak the SearchUrl key in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer as described on various places around the net (just Google MSN for it).
  • Force yourself to go to MSN instead of Google as follows:
    • Create a website on your local pc in IIS with host header www.google.com
    • Add a simple page to it (default.aspx) with the following content:

<% Response.Redirect("http://search.msn.com") %>
    • Go to the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and add the line

127.0.0.1    www.google.com

to it

It works damn effectively for me and I'm still finding whatever I'm looking for (but now with MSN). However, it's a pitty MSN still does not incorporate image search (although this does not work very well in Google either in my very opinion).

Comments

# re: The damn big advantage of Google ... it's easy to navigate to in IE (+ countermeasure)

Tuesday, November 23, 2004 3:59 PM by bart

Not being funny, but wouldn't it be easier to add a shortcut to seach.msn.com to your links toolbar, rather than disabling google access completely from your machine?

Alternatively, you could install MS Powertoys and then add msn as a search keyword (as well as gg for google). That way you can type "gg my test phrase" or "msn my test phrase" in your address bar and save even more time.

If you fancy hacking around in the registry to do the same thing then take a look at:-

Your way is hardcore, I'll give you that ;-)

Friday, December 03, 2004 5:26 AM by bart

Hehe, you wrote "Force yourself to go to Google instead of MSN as follows" :-D
Coincidence or not? :p

Friday, December 03, 2004 7:23 PM by bart

Damn, thanx dotnetjunkie for the comment; of course I applied a change :-)

# Easy access to MSN Search; the sequel

Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:29 PM by TrackBack

# Web Search in Internet Exploer 7

Sunday, April 02, 2006 2:15 PM by B# .NET Blog

One of the things I like very much about IE7 is the built-in support for web searching using the search...

# Web Search in Internet Explorer 7

Sunday, April 02, 2006 3:34 PM by B# .NET Blog

# free motorola real ringtones

Monday, February 04, 2008 10:04 AM by hindi mp3 ringtones