Tuesday, October 19, 2004 3:38 AM bart

Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Just gone through a nightmare of server configuration to get my mail up and running (finally) on Exchange 2003 (recipient policies, SMTP connectors, relaying, DNS configuration, you name it). Not that it is difficult, you just have to know it and play the game safe (make sure you don't have a SMTP open relay). Due to the migration (DNS, mail server) I've been offline via e-mail for quite some days but now I'm up and running again (better than ever I hope).

Sorry for the inconvenience but I've been relaxing during my off-line mode :-). I'll be glad to see your mails popping up in my box again.

Comments

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:22 PM by bart

Hi,

How did you resolve this issue, cause I'm having the same problem. Also relay was open on this server I just turned it off.

thanks
Nadia

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Friday, January 07, 2005 11:03 PM by bart

I would love to find a solution to this also I am having the same problem exept mine has become more sporatic.

ant suggestions

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 9:02 PM by bart

Make sure you have a recepient policy for the domain you're trying to send mail on. Without it, your server thinks it's relaying for foreign domains.

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Sunday, February 06, 2005 10:06 PM by bart

yeah seriously has anyone figured out how to resolve this?

This halts the entire exchange org. i dont kow how to get it so incoming mail willget to the mail boxes this is weak sauce.

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Monday, February 21, 2005 9:31 PM by bart

open up the IIS admin utility and configure the virtual SMTP server. You need to set relay and connection restrictions.

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Friday, February 25, 2005 5:57 PM by bart

1.) Goto your Exchange administrator MMC.
2.) Under your administrative group and %YourServerName% open the Protocols folder and under SMTP, goto the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual server.
3.) Click on "Delievery" tab and then the "Advanced" button.
4.) under Fully-qualified domain name. Put in... "%YourServerName%.company.com"
5.) Press OK and test.

Or make sure this should be done as well.

Try this....open you System Manager...Click on servers...then your server...Then expand your Protocols, and click on your SMTP folder....right click on your

Default SMTP Virtual Server and go to properties...Click on the Access Tab and then relay and make sure that your "Allow all computers that successfully

authenticate to relay, reguardless of the list above. That should fix it...

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Friday, February 25, 2005 6:09 PM by bart

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:56 AM by bart

Thanks for the comments here. This helped me sort out a similar problem. I had configured a set of external DNS records on my SMTP server (Exchange 2003) which created a problem on some sonnections.

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:41 AM by bart

I wanted to comment that all this information was helpful, and I also found some more. Since I found this thread when I was in trouble, I wanted to add what I found to help the next guy, I'd hate to go through it again.

1) Your PIX firewall has to have fixup smtp disabled.
no fixup protocol smtp 25

2) You can get the 550 relay error message if Exchange 2003 is failing to resolve the DNS. Try adding several external dns servers in your TCPIP settings on your NIC.

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 10:09 AM by bart

Dear Sir,
I am facing "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for name@domain.com" for suddently with out changing any ... and i am using ISA firewall if it's to do anything...

help me please

REgards
MUruganb

# re: Mail up again - No more "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..."

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:38 AM by bart

I have two smtp virtual servers, default and secure. The issue I was having is after creating the secure virtual server I forgot to add it to the smtp connector. Once I did that, everything worked fine.