Tuesday, June 15, 2004 8:22 PM bart

Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Make sure that you shut down the machines properly (that is, do not save their states) before you do the upgrade. The result over here looks as follows :-(

• The virtual machine "Exchange 2003 Standard" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
  • The virtual machine "ISA Server 2004" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
  • The virtual machine "MOM 2005" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
  • The virtual machine "SchoolServer - Internet Simulation Server" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
  • The virtual machine "SchoolServer - Router Simulation" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
  • The virtual machine "SQL Server Yukon" has a saved state which is not compatible with this version of Virtual Server. To start or configure this virtual machine the saved state must be discarded.
So, I just took a backup of the save state and the harddisks for in case there are problems when I restart the machine (using "Discard saved state") but I do not expect problems (there are no Windows 98 machines with that cool "Scandisk - your pc was not properly shut down" mechanism that has fortunately been dropped with the advent of NTFS).

Some new things in this release:
  • Inspect virtual harddisk
  • Improved website properties
  • Resource allocation (which presents me again with some "saved state warnings")

But also two "bugs" (or problems on my machine only?):

• when clicking on the "Network Settings" link for one of my networks (both the physical one and the virtual ones), I end up with an "Unexpected Exception"
  • The service principal name for the VMRC server could not be registered. Automatic authentication will always use NTLM authentication. Error 0x80072098 - Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.

Going to analyse this right now (and send an error report via betaplace) :-)

Comments

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, July 16, 2004 6:14 PM by bart

Regarding "bugs" - no, not on your machine only - I too get the "The service principal name for the VMRC server..." issue as well, and I cannot connect to my Virtual Servers :(
Did you get any joy sorting this out?

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Sunday, September 05, 2004 9:28 PM by bart

I too get that service principal name error. What the he!! is that about?! I found this forum purely because I am trying to find someone who has fixed this issue. Help!

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Monday, September 27, 2004 8:36 PM by bart

System Event Log keyed me to the answer of this one:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {DA3111BC-1BD7-4884-A535-8470D36028F7} to the user... This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Opened up the properties for the Virtual Server component and noticed the Everyone was on the Deny list for COM+ Activation in the Security properties. I added the user I'm hitting the page as with Local Activation permissions and all is well. Good luck J & C, sorry to hijack yer comments B#.

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, January 07, 2005 3:50 AM by bart

I have nothing inthe "Deny" list, and this software was working on my system. The trial expired, I've installed a purchased copy, but same error no matter what.

Tried changing the "Virtial Server", as well as the "VMRC components. Also, tried adding SERVICE.

The service that the Virtual Server runs under in via "NT Authority" and the account name is not available to add within apps or the DCOM+ components.

-- Rob --

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, January 07, 2005 3:54 AM by bart

Regarding my previous comments, here's the error:

The service principal name for the VMRC server could not be registered. Automatic authentication will always use NTLM authentication. Error 0x8007200b - The attribute syntax specified to the directory service is invalid.

The event ID 1029 doesn't exist anywhere.

The user is "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" which you can't add to anything.

The service is running, but it isn't working, and it cannot be administered.

I am running Windows XP SP2 with the latest available patches and updates.

When I originally installed Virtual Server on XP with SP1, it was great. Then, installing SP2 broke it. I fixed the DCOM+ component, and then it worked again. For 180 days or so.

I'm stuck!!

-- Rob --

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, January 07, 2005 4:55 AM by bart

As a followup, I gave excessive permissions, and added SYSTEM, and then rebooted, and now my system is working. No errors. I just posted a message requesting the appropriate permission settings on the Microsoft forum for Virtual Server, and I'll post any helpful responses here.

Thanks to Bart for letting me post this stuff!

-- Rob "I" --

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Sunday, January 30, 2005 10:09 AM by bart

Any news on this? I have the same problem...

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 5:08 AM by bart

I'm running Virtual Server 2005 on server 2003. After updates I was also locked out of server administration. I had to update security on the IIS user that was used to run the web portal. I eventually made the portal run using admin credentials. All was well. Hope this helps.

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:14 PM by bart

Adding the destination address (the address you're using to contact Virtual Server) to the Local Intranet zone in the Internet Options/Security allowed NTLM to work correctly for me, so my Virtual Server install is working again. I don't know that this solves all problems...it seems rather fragile so far...but I'm able to get some work done, anyway.

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, March 25, 2005 3:15 PM by bart

Administrative Tools > Component Services

Goto

Console Root > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config > Virtual Server

Right Click property and under Identity tab select "This user" radio button and fill-in the current logged in user information, usually is the Administrator account and the password.

Restart Virtual Server service. It should start immediately.

# re: Warning: upgrade from Virtual Server 2005 beta to RC1

Friday, March 25, 2005 3:19 PM by bart

Forgot to add one more point,

I also added same Administrators Group and SYSTEM account and grant "Launch Permission" under the Security tab.

I have no longer see those errors.